Christmas is supposed to be a time of joy. Time to spend with your family and friends. Time to relax and enjoy being together. But that time can quickly turn stressful if you’re having trouble making ends meet. What can you do if you need money for Christmas? There are a number of groups, charities and programs that provide help around the holidays. Here’s what you should do if you need money for Christmas.
What To Do If You Need Money For Christmas:
Local food banks often have Christmas packages for people in need. These packages include Christmas food like turkey, cranberry sauce, etc etc. They often include enough food for 4-6 days. These packages can help you free up money for other needs. Find a local food panty here.
Local charities, organizations and churches often provide children’s gifts to needy families during the holidays. If you need money for Christmas gifts then consider visiting one of these organizations.
Toys For Tots: This national program provides toys for children up to the age of 12-16. Request a toy from Toys For Tots from your local agency.
Adopt-A-Family: This programs works by linking needy families with donors. The donor family receives a “wish list” and donates these gifts which are then wrapped and delivered.
Family Giving Tree: They help fulfill the needs of children in low-income families. They do this through local agencies. To find an agency in your area use their city/agency search tool.
There are a number of local charities that support families that need money for Christmas. Their support varies by location so visit your local location for more details. Registration also begins in October/November so please reach out to them early to ensure you get their support.
Salvation Army – Provides Christmas assistance to needy families. Through their red kettle program the Salvation Army receives millions of dollars in donations which are then distributed to needy families.
St. Vincent de Paul Society – Provides services through local Catholic churches. They operate food pantries and offer emergency financial assistance for rent, utilities, cold weather clothing and transportation passes. Find a local SVDP society.
Lutheran Services of America – Offers a variety of services to those in need. To get more information on their local services you can use their search tool.
Having a Christmas tree is an important part of the Christmas tradition. But if you need money for Christmas then a tree is usually last on the list. Although there aren’t any national programs there are some local programs that help provide trees to families in need.
- Colorado – The Christmas Tree Project
- California – Trees of Joy
- Massachusetts – Christmas Tree Santas
- Military Families – Trees For Troops (check with your local Morale, Welfare & Recreation officer for details)
Coats For Kids: This program helps provide winter coats to children of all ages. They provides new coats through organizations like schools, churches and local non-profits. Click here to find out if your local organization is in the program.
Operation Warm: Operation warm has a number of programs to provide clothing to needy children. They work with local groups to distribute their donations.
There are plenty of ways to earn extra money during the holidays. Here are a few ways to earn quick cash if you need money for Christmas…
- Swagbucks – They pay you for doing the things you already do online. The lowest payout is a $5 Amazon gift card which you get after you earn only 450 swagbucks. This is great as a stocking stuffer!
- Craigslist – Sell your unwanted stuff on Craigslist. This is a great way to reduce clutter and make some extra cash.
- Shovel Snow – No one likes to shovel snow. Go door to door and offer your services. Or put up some flyers in your local community center.
- Babysitting – Advertise your services on Facebook or Twitter. There are bound to be some families looking for a good babysitter.
- Part Time Work – Part time work is easier to find during the holidays. Businesses staff up for the crazy holiday rush.
- Temp Job – Find a temp job using a temp agency.
- Donate Blood For Money – Make $25-$50 per donation and donate up to twice per week.
For more check out our list of “I need money now” ideas.
Photo by Joshua Rothhaas via Flickr